17 Feb Vegan Crunchwrap
- Cheese sauce: I have made my own cheese sauce here as it’s good to add a large amount, and you want it more like nacho cheese. Pre-made vegan cheese also works but it is less of a ‘sauce’.
- Vegan Mayo/Vegan sour cream: Vegan sour cream wins but if you can’t get hold of it vegan mayo or some avocado also works great. A vegan sour cream recipe is in the works though
- Tortilla wraps: I’ve used a large tortilla wrap and one small one. If you don’t have two sizes, take the larger one cut it in half then double back each point to make it into a cone shape, that’ll work just as good!
- Cheese sauce: You want the consistency to be like nacho cheese, so it should still be pourable when it comes out of the blender. Some blenders heat up quite a bit when blending, try not to do this too much as the heat may over-activate the tapioca starch creating more of a glob.
- Holding the wrap together: If you are finding it is not holding together, on the smaller wrap add some sour cream or mayo around the edges so the larger one has something to stick too.
- Just go for it: Take a look at the images below to get an idea of how to assemble it! My top tip is that it’s similar to making pancakes, just go for it. Once it is all folded nicely, to keep it folded you sort of have to quickly whack it in the pan folded side down otherwise, it can all fall out.
A take on the taco bell classic but veganised baby!
Servings: 6 people, 12 Hobbits, 60 Fairies
- Blender (if making cheese sauce)
Cheese Sauce (Or just use pre-made vegan cheese)
- 200 g Potato
- 100 g Carrot
- 100 ml Vegetable oil (or other neutral-tasting oil, but olive oil can also work)
- 60-80 ml Non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp Garlic granules
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp Tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 400 g Plant-based mince
- 1 Medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic granules
- 1 tsp Chili flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Sea salt, add more to taste
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Large tortilla wraps
- 6 Small tortilla wraps
- Bag of tortilla chips
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, diced
- Vegan mayonnaise or vegan sour cream (recipe for sour cream coming soon)
Cheese sauce (if not using pre-made vegan cheese)
- Peel the potatoes and carrots and dice into small cubes.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add in the diced potatoes and carrots and boil for 5 minutes.
- While they are boiling add the other ingredients into a blender.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots and add them to the blender.
- Blend on high until the mixture is silky smooth. You may need to pause, scrape down the sides and re-do a couple of times.
- Depending on the waxiness of your potatoes and starchiness of your tapioca you may have a thicker consistency. Add a little more oil and then a bit more milk. Keep doing that until you get the desired consistency.
- Heat some olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan on medium to medium-high
- Add in the plant-based mince, if it comes in a block like real mince, don't break it up. Let it get a sear on one side.
- Flip it to get a sear on the other side.
- Start breaking it up into smaller pieces trying not to 'mush' it.
- Once browned transfer to a bowl, and add a little more olive oil to the pan and start sautéing the onion
- Once softened add the mince back in and give it a good mix.
- Add in all the spices, give it a good mix to make sure it is also coated
- Allow to fry a little longer to get all the spices infused in the mince
- Transfer to a bowl and get ready to assemble the wraps!
Crunch wraps (see images above if needed)
- Place the tortilla on a plate, scoop in 2-3 tbsp of the mince filling.
- Add some cheese sauce (or pre-made vegan cheese) on top of the mince.
- Now add a handful of tortilla chips onto the cheese, top with some vegan mayo or sour cream.
- Add the lettuce and tomatoes.
- Your hands are about to be full so start heating a frying pan on medium, no oil needed.
- Get the smaller tortilla (or bigger tortilla cut in half, see notes) and place it over the filling
- Start folding the bigger tortilla onto the smaller one, spinning around as you go until it is all folded.
- Holding it securely together, transfer it to the frying pan, folded side down
- Fry on each side for 1-2 minutes, keep an eye on it as wraps can burn quickly
- Serve with your favourite hot sauce!
Nutritional Yeast used can be found here Vegan Mince used can be found here Vegan Mayo used can be found here The above links are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, if you purchase the item I'll earn a little something too. I only recommend products I use and know are top notch.