29 Apr Simple Chickpea Salad
- Chickpeas: This recipe works better if you go for the larger chickpeas, they also look better in photos if that’s your thing.
- Hot Paprika: Swap this out for normal paprika if you don’t want your salad to be spicy.
- Coriander: I fall into the category of not being the greatest fan of coriander. It doesn’t taste that great by itself. Saying that it really works in the recipe with all the other flavours. If it tastes like soap to you, swap it out for some parsley.
- Tomatoes: Once you have quartered the tomatoes add a generous pinch of salt all over them. This will draw out any excess moisture which will save your salad and avoid all the dressing sinking to the bottom. Tomatoes also taste great salted, it brings out their flavours. Salt them all the time, not just for this recipe!
- Cucumber: Again with avoiding too much water you’ll want to prepare the cucumber a certain way. Once you have halved and halved again cut out the watery seed centre and discard (into your compost).
- Dressing Order: In the recipe. I listed the order to add the dressing ingredients. If you had the wet ingredients (the olive oil and lime juice) before everything else it becomes harder for the dressing to combine. Water and oil don’t mix and act as a barrier to each other meaning the seasoning can’t get to them and instead just sit on top.
Super Simple Chickpea Salad
A simple no-hassle salad with maximum flavour. Perfect as a main salad or as a side with a main meal. Make it ahead and take it with you on picnics or to potlucks.
- 4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 60 ml Lime juice
- 2 heaped tsp Cumin powder
- 2 heaped tsp Hot paprika powder (or normal paprika powder)
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 10 g Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Black Pepper to taste
- 2 400g cans of chickpeas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- Half a large cucumber, quartered, chopped (remove watery seedy middle)
- 250 g Cherry tomatoes, quartered (or other small tomatoes)
- 1 Red onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- Prep the chickpea salad ingredients as noted above. Add some salt to the quartered cherry tomatoes to draw out excess water
- In a large bowl add all of the salad ingredients
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients in the following order: Olive oil, cumin, paprika, sea salt, black pepper, lime juice and coriander
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until it is evenly distributed and combined
- Serve with topped avocado
Alternative Way - Crispy Chickpeas
- Pre-heat oven to 200c. In a large bowl mix chickpeas with some extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder and paprika. Bake them for 25-30 minutes until crisp then add to salad as normal.