20 Jan Gigi Hadid Vegan Vodka Pasta
- Pasta: This dish is all about the pasta so get something a little boujee, you know, THAT one in the supermarket. The one with the fancy branding. The one which is just a larger version of Fusili. The one which I can’t pronounce. Make sure it can cup the pasta sauce well.
- Vegan Cream: I can only talk of vegan cream products from the UK, so apologies if you’re outside of the UK. In this recipe, I have used ‘Elmlea Double Plant Cream Alternative’ but have also used the single cream version. This is a brand which I used when I wasn’t vegan and is great to cook with. You can also use ‘Alpro Soya Alternative Cream’ or ‘Creamy Oat’ which is Oatly’s cream alternative.
- Vegan Cream Alternatives: If you can’t find any of these products most supermarkets have ‘Coconut Cream’ which is either tinned or in a carton. It’s quite hard when cold but will turn into ‘heavy cream’ as it is heated up. You may need to add a bit of non-dairy milk to thin it out a bit. This will give a coconut taste to the pasta so you may need to go extra on the seasoning to mask the taste.
- You didn’t eat it in one go?! For best results, to keep it nice and saucy, I add the desired portion to a heatproof dish cover with foil and place in the lower portion of a steamer for 20-30 minutes. You can also microwave it but add a teaspoon or two of water before.
Gigi Hadid Vegan Vodka Pasta (Penne alla vodka)
That viral video of simple pasta goodness but veganised
Servings: 2 hungry people, 4 Hobbits, 20 Fairies
- 230 g Fusilli/Shells (something that takes sauce)
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Small white onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 150 ml Vegan Cream (see notes on cream options above)
- 2 tbsp Vodka
- 1 tbsp Crushed Chilis/Chili Flakes (1 tsp to be less spicy)
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Vegan Butter
- Some reserved pasta water
- 4-5 Basil leaves, sliced
- Nutritional Yeast
- Start by cooking the pasta to packet instructions or 2 minutes before if you prefer a firmer bite
- While the pasta is cooking add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a saucepan over medium-low heat
- Add the diced onion and let cook until soft
- Add minced garlic and stir till fragrant
- Now add in the tomato paste and let the paste cook a little until it looks a little bit darker
- Add in the Vegan Cream and stir
- Add in the vodka and let the alcohol evaporate
- Add chili flakes, sea salt and pepper to taste, stir again
- Lower the heat and then drain pasta while reserving some pasta water
- Add in butter and basil and stir until butter disappears into the sauce
- Add in the pasta and pasta water if needed (if the sauce is too thick)
- Check if more seasoning is needed
- Serve with nutritional yeast over the top and more fresh basil
Nutritional Yeast used can be found here Vegan Butter used can be found here Vegan Cream used can be found here The above links are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, if you purchase the item I'll earn a little something too. I only recommend products I use and know are top notch.