08 Jun Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
Ingredient Notes + Cooking Tips
- Chickpeas: You can get two kinds of chickpeas. The large ones and the small ones. If you want realllllly crispy chickpeas the smaller ones work better as they have less of the ‘potatoey’ middle but large ones can still crisp up. For reference, in the UK smaller chickpeas are ‘KTC Chickpeas’, ‘Sainsbury’s own brand Chickpeas’, ‘Co-Op own brand Chickpeas’. Larger chickpeas are ‘Napolina Chickpeas’ or the organic ones. Smaller chickpeas don’t need as long in the oven. Keep the temperature (200c) the same and check them after 20 mins. Larger chickpeas need slightly longer and will still have that sort of potatoey middle. Check them at 30 minutes and see if they need longer. If you are not eating them all in one go see reheating tips below.
- If you are doing a batch of these and know you are not going to eat them in one go, slightly under-do them initially so they are not yet fully crispy. If they are already at their max crispiness reheating them will just burn them. Put the chickpeas on a baking tray and in a pre-heated 200c oven for 10 mins. They will be hot and crispy as if you have just baked them. I like slightly underdoing a big batch of these and then throughout the week reheating the portion I need to make crispy chickpea salad wraps for lunch.
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
A quick, hassle-free, bang in the oven recipe for amazing crispy chickpeas. These work great as a snack or in salads and wraps.
Servings: 3 people, 6 Hobbits, 30 Fairies
- 2 400g Canned Chickpeas (240g after draining)
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Smoked or normal paprika
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Garlic granules
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- Drain both cans of chickpeas and rinse thoroughly until no bubble/foam appears
- Line a medium to large baking tray with parchment paper or non-stick foil
- Lightly pat the chickpeas with some paper towel to remove excess water
- Add the chickpeas onto the baking sheet followed by the oil and all of the seasonings
- Mix the chickpeas thoroughly to ensure all the seasoning and oil is evenly distributed
- Add the chickpeas into a pre-heated 200c oven and bake for 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the chickpeas. Larger chickpeas will need longer to get crispy so check them at 30 minutes, they may need longer. Smaller chickpeas get crispy around 20-25 minutes.
- Eat as is while watching a movie, add to salads or eat them in a wrap
These chickpeas work great in this salad recipe.