10 Mar Creamy Garlic Lemon Pasta
- Pasta: You want something that is going to hold and carry the sauce well. The Queen of this is orecchiette, also known as ‘little ears’. Because this dish is all about the pasta, get something a little boujee, you know, THAT one in the supermarket. The one with the fancy branding. The one which is just a larger version of Fusili. The one which I can’t pronounce.
- Vegan Cream: I can only talk of vegan cream products from the UK, so apologies if you’re outside of the UK. I have used ‘Elmlea Double Plant Cream Alternative’ in this recipe, but the single cream version works too.
This is a brand that I used when I wasn’t vegan, and it’s great to cook with. You can also use ‘Alpro Soya Alternative Cream’ or ‘Creamy Oat’, which is Oatly’s cream alternative.
- Vegan Cream Alternatives: If you can’t find any of these products, most supermarkets have ‘Coconut Cream’, either tinned or in a carton. It’s quite hard when cold but will turn into ‘heavy cream’ as it is heated up. You may need to add some non-dairy milk to thin it out a bit. This will give a coconut taste to the pasta, so you may need to go extra on the seasoning to mask the taste.
- Pasta: Instead of using a big pot with a load of water to cook the pasta, choose something smaller. The less water to pasta ratio means when the pasta has finished cooking, the water will be starchy, which is great for making sauces. See below.
- Pasta Water: When you add the pasta to the sauce, you may find the sauce disappears; this is where the golden ingredient of starchy pasta water comes in. Add a little bit each time until you get the sauce consistency you want.
- Garlic: Watch it cook…Kind of. You want nice browned golden garlic, but there is a fine line between that and horrible bitter garlic. As soon as you see some colour and some fragrance, add the cream to stop it from cooking.
- For best results (to keep it nice and saucy), I add the desired portion to a heatproof dish cover with foil and place it in the lower portion of a steamer for 20-30 minutes. You can also microwave it but add a teaspoon or two of water before.
Creamy Garlic Lemon Pasta
A creamy vegan pasta that is super easy and quick to make, you'll be stuffing your face with garlicy lemony goodness in no time!
Servings: 4 people, 8 Hobbits, 40 Fairies
- 370 g Pasta shapes (orecchiette is queen for this)
- 8 Garlic cloves, minced
- 270 ml Vegan cream (see notes on cream options above)
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3.5 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 Heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional, great without them)
- Pasta Water
- Bring a medium saucepan filled with salted water to the boil. You don't want a big saucepan as you want the pasta water to be starchy for later. Add the pasta and cook to packet instructions or 2 minutes before for a firmer bite. Save some pasta water
- While the pasta is cooking add 3 tbsp of olive oil to a large pan over low-medium heat
- Add in all of the minced garlic at the same time to ensure even cooking
- Make sure the oil coats all of the garlic, pool it into one area of the pan if needed
- As soon as the garlic starts to brown slightly, add all of the vegan cream
- Add in lemon juice, thyme, nutritional yeast, sea salt and black pepper. Give it all a good mix
- Simmer the sauce until it reduces and thickens a bit
- Drain the pasta (save some pasta water) and add to the sauce
- Mix it well so it is all nice and covered
- If you feel that it's not 'saucy' enough, add a bit of the starchy pasta water until you get a sauce you are happy with
- Serve with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach if that's your thing!