27 Jan Bolognese Grilled Cheese Garlic Bread
- Bread: If you have a preference you can use any bread really! I personally like to get tiger bread or a white bloomer and cut my own slices, but if I can’t be bothered, pre-sliced toastie bread does great too! It’s what is used in the photo.
- Vegan Cheese: Again this is down to preference but I like to use a neutral-tasting cheese. One that isn’t trying to imitate the ‘cheddar’ or smoked flavour. I use Violife slices as the flavour is neutral and it melts great. I use three slices, depending on your cheese you may need more or less.
- Bolognese: I have used my own recipe which can be found here: https://munchpost.co.uk/best-ever-vegan-bolognese/. If you have your own recipe use that but you may need to make the following adjustments. If your bolognese is too ‘saucy’ it can soak into the bread too much ruining that grilled toast crunch. I would heat on a low stove to reduce it down so there is less liquid. If you have quite a thick boy bolognese make sure to have it at room temperature otherwise it won’t cook through. If you are making this quickly and haven’t got time, blitz it in the microwave, the steam may make the bread a little soggy but alas, modern-day time sacrifices.
- Starting Cold: This recipe has garlic butter for the outside. Garlic can burn easily which will turn the butter bitter and ruin the whole sandwich! Starting cold and keeping the heat on low allows the bread to toast at the same time the garlic is browning. If you start in a hot pan the garlic will be done before the bread is.
- A Helping Hand: Sometimes you’ll find the bread is nearly toasted and the garlic is nearly browned but the vegan cheese is letting you down big time…It’s not melting. Vegan cheese can be funny like this so you may need to give it a bit of help. I move the bread over to one corner of the pan, add a splash of water in the other corner and put the lid back on. The steam from the water helps melt the cheese.
Bolognese Grilled Cheese Garlic Bread
You probably made too much bolognese and don't want to have it with spaghetti again? Try it stuffed inside a grilled cheese with toasted garlic bread. The ultimate comfort food.
Servings: 2 people, 4 Hobbits, 20 Fairies
- 3.5 tbsp Vegan butter (room temperature/soft, not melted)
- 3 Medium-sized garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Dried parsley
- Sea salt
Bolognese Grilled Cheese
- 4 Slices of white bread
- 4 tbsp
Vegan Bolognese(leftover works best)
- 3 Slices of vegan cheese
- In a bowl combine the butter, minced garlic, parsley and sea salt and mix until the butter is all smooth and combined.
- Butter the sides of the bread that will be the outside of the toastie.
- Place one piece of the bread, buttered-side down in a cold pan. Spread enough of the bolognese on top until covered and then add the vegan cheese.
- Turn the heat on medium to low, you want to go low and slow instead of high heat because of the garlic in the butter.
- Keep the pan covered to help the vegan cheese melt. Check the bottom regularly to make sure it is not burned, around 2-3 minutes.
- Once it is browned and the cheese is melted add the other piece of bread on top, buttered-side up, compress the sandwich a little with a spatula then flip.
- Cook on the other side until browned then serve! Cut in triangles (this is a must)
Vegan Butter used can be found here Mince used in the bolognese can be found here Vegan cheese used can be found here The above links are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, if you purchase the item I'll earn a little something too. I only recommend products I use and know are top notch.